Thursday, February 18, 2010

Starting Over

This year, I will turn 40. It doesn't happen till November 29, so it gives me plenty of time to prepare. I want you to know that this continuing of the clock to turn and get me that much closer to this age does not bother me, but instead, gives me time to think about how I want to change and what I want the beginning of life at 40 to look like. Instead of making New Year's resolutions this year, I set into my head a mantra of "Fit by 40." I keep saying it to myself to remind myself of what I want to accomplish. I will now layout for you what this means to me, and up until November 29, will let you know of my progress or digressions as the clock ticks closer.


One of my first goals, was to increase my physical activity in order to be physically fit by 40. I did not set a weight loss goal because I felt that I would feel instant failure when not getting immediate gratification, and would sink into a Culver's Concrete with cookie dough faster than my husband could turn his head so as to pretend not to see me. Let's face it, I have never been the smallest of girls. I like to refer to my body build as "athletic" and I know most of my close friends have heard me use that term. I am not sure who I am kidding with this phrase as I don't think I have been "athletic" since high school. Maybe I am referring to my strong and muscular thighs that could lift a heavy weight, or my plump bottom and large Popeye-like calves (just kidding about that last one). I certainly am not "defined," cannot run fast or for long distances, or think anyone else would consider me athletic. Well, I do have plenty of workout clothing, so there- I am athletic.


Second, I set the personal goal to read the Bible in one year. I reached this goal a couple of years back, but the life lessons in the Bible never go out of style and I find that I am better able to go about my day and my life with even just a little bit of God in my mind. A good friend provided me with a Bible meant for this exact goal, so it keeps me on track. So far, so good.


Last, I wanted to change the way I treated myself. Being a stay-at-home mom can mean many days go by of wearing your stretchy clothing with no makeup and settling for your hair up in a pony tail. I need to feel better and take more pride in my appearance, plus, I need to get rid of some small wrinkles and discoloration that has shown up as a result of aging hormones and apparently smiling too much. It would be cheaper for me to just quit smiling and laughing, but I opted for buying new products for my face and hair. Arbonne, to be exact. I wanted natural, but proven to work, so I admired some of my friends complexions, then asked them what they used. Well, Arbonne is it. Since I don't do anything half-a**, I decided to buy everything I needed to do my face first. The lesson which was conducted at my good friend E's house was informative and humbling. Who knew I was doing it all wrong? No wonder I was a mess. She will fix everything for me and I will look fab by 40 for sure. I think she thinks it's all up to me, but I will blame her anyway if I fail to follow through and don't see results that appear to be similar to those of cosmetic surgery. (just kidding E!)


I figure if I can work on all these 3 areas and get them down by 40, all life's problems will disappear and utopia will be the result. Wait, what to do with my family?

No comments:

Post a Comment