Tuesday, October 27, 2009

New York on a Budget-It CAN be done!

Tomorrow, a couple of my older boys and I embark on a journey to The Big Apple. We are SO excited about this, especially because we will be sharing our time with their aunt, my sister-in-law, and she is FUN. I love to research travel bargains and New York City provided many opportunities. Known as one of the most expensive cities to visit, it is also known to be rich in culture and learning opportunities that I really just HAD to have my children experience. After talking to a few friends about their experiences, I knew that my excitement was justified. Let me just end the mystery by letting you know that I was able to find bargains for airline tickets, 2 shows (1 on Broadway, 1 off), hotel (actually, Hostel), and sight-seeing for the unbelievably lost cost of $450.00/person-TOTAL! The extras will be Metro cards, food, and souvenirs, but WOW. Let me share my recommendations, then upon my return, I will write and let you know how we fared and if my bargain buys were really worth it.

1. I am not loyal to just one single airline, but I do have frequent flyer miles with 2 in particular. I must say that I fly the most frequently with Airtran Airways. I like that they have many nonstop flights (important with children) and many locations they fly in/out of. Our tickets were snagged for about $175/person.
2. Hotels can be pricey, but I found a well-rated Hostel in the upper West side of Manhattan close to the Museum of Natural History for get this-$92/night. That includes tax. Their are no frills with this, of course, just 2 double beds in a private room with linens, towels, and soap provided, and a shared bath, but how long do you actually plan to spend in your room? The shared bath was the hardest perk to give up, but the reviews stated the baths were kept VERY clean and were often available.
3. Tickets for the sight-seeing were snagged at one location: CityPass. Six top locations can be visited for one price-about $78/adult. The boys I purchased separately online at the various websites for a lower price.
4. Broadway shows. My friend recommends TKTS and I do, too, but I was also able to scour the Internet for tickets to Mary Poppins that totalled around $32/person (mezzanine) and an off-Broadway show called Altar Boyz for about the same. Total for shows: $64/person.
5. Through an organization known as Big Apple Greeters, I was assigned an excited volunteer who loves New York, to give us a FREE 4-hour tour around lower Manhattan.

This is all SO exciting. Now lets see if the bargain hunting was worth it. Tune in next week for the results and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment