Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dining Out: Experience in Appleton with Mexican Food

For my husband and I, dining out is a treat. I assume that in this economy most people share this sentiment. We have the added pleasure of trying to enjoy the experience while in the company of at least one of our 5 boys. If we are fortunate enough that the child has brought enough diversionary activities and is busy dunking one of his action figures in the salsa or water that's provided, my husband and I can enjoy stimulating conversation revolving around what we are going to do about the children's' issues. Yesterday was such an outing.

Entering Sergio's, we realize that we are one of maybe 4 other small groups that are there to enjoy lunch. It smells good and we are hopeful that the meal will satisfy. I order a taco plate, my husband orders the burrito plate. Close to 45 minutes later, our food finally arrives and I wish I had filled up on the Diet Pepsi and chips/salsa that were provided. I didn't realize how much refried beans could resemble a pile of cooled lava (or dog poop). They were unappetizing, needless to say. The taco was swimming in a pool of its own oil and the meat overcooked and dry. My husband was given the generic line, "don't touch your plate as it is very hot." (I always feel like saying-"you mean like this?" and grabbing it and freaking out.) Our waitress made a hasty exit and we took a bite. My husband said "Amazing. I didn't think the plate could be so hot and my burrito still be cold." I was still looking for my taco amongst the oil and attempting to excavate my black beans. Life is too short and this was SO not worth the calories, so I ate more chips and salsa. In the end, our waitress and checkout service was very nice, but the cook needed to go back to school. Dining out shouldn't be this disappointing. Money back, please.

Finding the joy: At least I didn't eat a lot of calories during this meal

No comments:

Post a Comment