Monday, October 26, 2009

The Bedroom- A Private Oasis


Recently, I decided to redecorate the master bedroom. Prior, my husband would tell you that it reminded him of the scene from The Wizard of Oz where they are all running through the field of poppies to get to the Emerald City. Yes, it was yellow and yes, there were flowers-lots of flowers. I felt a need for a little estrogen in my house where there was so much testosterone. Needless to say, not an oasis for my man. As I felt the need for a change in the decor, I found myself asking-What do I want the room to say to us? How do I want it to feel? (this is what I would ask my clients for redecorating their spaces) The answer: French Sex


NOW, before you click off this blog, thinking how inappropriate I am being, let me explain. My husband and I love each other, have been together 14 years, married 12, and have 5 children-4 of them still at home. Done with explanation. We need a place that speaks to our private lives and provides comfort. My thoughts realized, I started the makeover with zeal and a tight budget. I LOVE shopping for a bargain, especially when decorating. Above, you will see the almost finished product (I still want a faux fur rug for the floor). I was pleased with the overall effect, as was my husband, although he was getting discouraged with all the packages arriving in the mail and wondering about the cost and whether I held a fancy for the UPS man. Including the paint, I managed to repurpose items, buy new, and get it all for under $300. That's a deal. Looking at it, I am not sure how truly "French" it is, but it was just an idea anyway. I knew I had accomplished what I set out to do when my husband said "enough, it is starting to look like a brothel" (he has such man-taste) and one boy who was visiting for a playdate looked in and said "COOL!"

(now, that kid has good taste)


Finding the joy: It's nice when we can please those we love.
P.S. I would like to give credit where credit is due: Holly, if you're reading, thank you for your help. I hope you like the end product that you gave ideas on.

No comments:

Post a Comment